Last year, before a major surgery, I sat down and wrote eighteen things that I had learned with the idea of posting it on my blog. I just found the piece of paper last week. Here’s what I wrote:
- Time does not heal all wounds, or doesn’t heal them in a timely manner. Just let it go, and move on
- Failures are lessons. Experience is not my best teacher, falling on my face is.
- Your friends are not your friends for life. As an extension, just because someone’s born your kin doesn’t mean that they have your best interests at heart. Learn when and how to cut ties and walk away if needed.
- Learn when to say “no”. It’s that simple.
- What’s right for you is not right for the next person. Quit trying to fix him/her
- You’re just as annoying as the next person. Cut him/her some slack.
- You waste more time getting out of work than you do by just rolling up your sleeves and digging in.
- Be nice to everyone that you can – the way karma works, that person that you just screamed at in front of everyone will be your boss next week.
- Family (born or made), education, integrity and morality are the four things that will always show true under fire. Even if they’re taken away, the impressions that they’ve left on you are indelible.
- Accentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative. Latch on to the affirmative. Perry Como had it right.
- If a song makes you feel good, buy it. If a food makes you feel good, work around the calories. If a person is enjoyable to be around, make an effort to keep in touch.
- You know all those feel-good songs? Make a disc of them, and play them whenever you’re in traffic.
- Late is ok, but lack of communication is not.
- The only person that you’re responsible for is yourself. The only people that you have to make an effort for are those that love you. This should order your priorities for you.
- Life is full of patterns, discover yours and utilize them.
- Those tools you were given? Clue: USE THEM!!!!
- That road less traveled? It’s a lot more work, but it’s more rewarding, and a hell of a lot more fun.
- What are you afraid of? What’s the worst that could happen? It’s only life – no one makes it out alive.
Current Music: “Cherry Bomb” by The Runaways